9/28/17

Forget the Hot Cocoa: We Audition Tempter IPA For Our New After-Ski Drink



Jeff

Can this really be the first IPA we have done so far? Perhaps I have shied away from testing too many because I know that H hate hate hates them. I admit, the super bitter hoppiness of most IPAs is not for everyone. But I just can't resist the strong and bold flavors. IPAs are to regular beers what straight whiskey is compared to a daiquiri- all are tasty, but you can feel an IPA or a good whiskey as much as taste it.

This IPA from the Telluride Brewing Company is a nicely balanced IPA with a good level of bitterness. As anyone who regularly drinks India pale ales will tell you, once you become familiar with them you can see there's actually a lot of variety in the bitter hoppiness that they offer. This beer is bitter without being unpleasant, and the aftertaste doesn't linger like some others do.

However, for as solid as it is that is also its problem. It just doesn't stand out to me. No real flavor profile pops out, beyond a slight fruity sweetness underneath the bitter. It's a low key IPA, good enough to be in the category but not memorable enough that I would reach for it again. 

Also, and I realize that this is just silly marketing stuff, but H and I both did a mega eye roll at their can which lists "snow melt" as an ingredient. Maybe we are just both so jaded by modern advertising that we can't appreciate a little tongue in cheek humor anymore, but that seems like the exact kind of thing someone would use as an actual selling point if they were trying to be a weasel. I think this brewer is just trying to be cute but we both still found it dumb.




___________________________________________________________________________




Haley


I hate IPAs. Whew! Feels good to get that off my chest! Now that my dirty little secret is out of the way, let me discuss something else I'm starting to hate.

Hey Colorado brewers, chill out with the mountains already.

OK, I have been up, around, and in the mountains all around this lovely state now and let me say this: I get it. But there is so, so much more to offer here if one is looking for artistic inspiration. In an hour I can go from snow capped peaks to literal cacti. That is amazing! But everyone around here seems bound and determined to cling to this one pool of imagery. Which brings me back to the topic at hand.

I looked at the logo at this can for a long time. I asked myself "am I sure we hadn't already done something from the Telluride Brewing Company before?". Then I checked our archives and figured out what seemed so familiar.

Denver Brewing Company has a mountain logo as well. Oskar Blues has a mountain logo with an identically styled rising sun behind it!

When is enough, enough? These logos could be clones!

Originally, I was going to give this label three stars. I do like the blue and the sort of green-leaning yellow together. I also think the orientation of the mountains and skiers on the can are organized uniquely enough to give the layout some visual interest with the criss-crossing lines of sight. I did think the awkward 80s video-game style font at the top was out of place and I disliked the lack of basic information found on the can, like ABV%. So three stars would have been fair, I think.

But tracing back now why the logo feels so familiar, I'm going to have to knock off another star based on unoriginality. This logo is so similar to Oskar Blues that as a consumer, I confess I had actual honest-to-God brand confusion for a minute. That can't be good for anyone.

Please Telluride Brewers, get yourself a new artist/designer and make yourself a logo that sets you apart better!



No comments:

Post a Comment