6/8/17

Death by Coconut Gives Jeff Life




Jeff

Beers are incredibly seasonally oriented. There are beers for summer, beers for winter, and beers for every season in between. Death by Coconut is interesting in that it seems to straddle multiple seasons by offering a dark porter flavored with the more summery taste of coconut.

My first thought when opening up this beer was that it smelled a little artificial. However, upon tasting, the coconut is very naturally flavored, with nice caramel undertones. It's not hugely complex, but the notes it does hit are right on.

I will say that it is pretty light for a porter and I was a pretty surprised at the lack of bitterness it has. I would actually prefer my porters to have a little more body and to be a bit more bitter than this one. Because of this though it does manage to straddle the line between winter and spring pretty well.

This deserves a four out of five star rating because the flavor is nice and true to its description. It also deserves a high rating because it has no unpleasant aftertaste. It would be perfect if not for the off putting fake scent when opened, which Haley also noticed had a strong "boozey" element to it as well.

If you like strong coconut flavor in a dark beer that is smooth and without noticeable bitterness, Death by Coconut might be for you.




___________________________________________________________________________






Haley


I guess much like the beer itself, I find this can a little confusing. Jeff and I both noted the mish mash of design elements here: it's a coconut flavored Irish porter with Colorado mountains, faux tiki fonts and textures, a brown and white color scheme, and "land of the rising sun" rays all crammed together on the can. Not to mention it also features a pale icy blue (shout out to periwinkle!). What is this? What season is this beer for?

Because of all of these issues the design just seems muddled to me so I'm going to give this 3/5 stars, because at least it does say "coconut" if not "Irish porter"- so I know a little bit of what I'm getting. Overall though, I don't really love it, and it didn't catch my eye in the store.


No comments:

Post a Comment